Philanthropy at OES
Frequently Asked Questions
Why give to OES?
Since our founding in 1869, every student has been touched by the generosity and vision of our community. From the land and buildings to the endowment, generations of generous families and individuals have created the school that serves today’s students. OES is an independent, non-profit school and does not receive public funding. Like most independent schools, OES has two main fundraising areas: annual giving and capital campaigns.
- Tuition and fees cover about 89% of our school’s budget. Around $3,500 per student is needed every year to ensure our academic and extra-curricular programs are available and exceptional. These funds are raised from our endowment, the auction, and most importantly, contributions to the OES Fund.
- At times, independent schools request funds for projects that are beyond the scope of daily operations, like facilities updates or growing the endowment. Capital campaigns are crucial to the long-term physical, financial, athletic, and academic vitality of OES.
What are the annual giving opportunities?
- The OES Fund is the school's most vital and fundamental fundraising effort, providing significant and immediate annual resources. Your donation to the OES Fund is spent on our highest priorities to meet the immediate needs of students in the visual and performing arts, sciences, athletics, and in the libraries. Learn more here.
- Many families also enjoy participating in our annual auction, held each March, as volunteers, sponsors, auction item donors, and attendees. Like the OES Fund, the auction raises funds for current-year use. Specifically, funds raised through the auction support faculty and staff professional development and special projects that enhance our campus and students’ learning experience. Learn more here.
Do I need to choose where I give?
No. Our ability to cover our annual operating expenses will always be a top priority so we hope all parents will contribute to the OES Fund and/or auction. During a capital campaign it is important that members of our community make a campaign donation in addition to maintaining their current annual support. This combination of capital campaign and annual gifts allows us to offer a world-class education in the classroom today while we focus on adding additional world-class facilities for tomorrow. To continue to be able to deliver the mind-opening education OES is known for, we seek charitable donations from parents, alumni, parents of alumni, grandparents, foundations, faculty, staff and friends to help OES fully realize our mission and vision.
How do I donate?
Donate or pledge today to benefit every OES student immediately and be counted as a participant with a gift by cash, check, credit card, or stock (click here for detailed instructions). See all the ways to give here.
How much should I give?
Donations of all sizes are gratefully received. We ask all parents to make Oregon Episcopal School one of their top three philanthropic priorities and to consider becoming a member of the 1869 Society. We ask all members of our community to donate at a level that is personally significant to them.
- What is the 1869 Society?
Named in honor of the year the school was founded, the 1869 Society recognizes and celebrates the philanthropic leadership of donors who invest $1,869 or more to the OES Fund during the fiscal year. These leadership gifts are critical, providing 80% or more of the total contributions each year. Society members are recognized at a celebratory dinner each fall. Please consider joining this group of philanthropic leaders.
Can I make my donation in installments instead of a one-time payment?
Yes! A monthly or quarterly recurring gift by credit card can be an easy way to increase your support of OES students. For example, you can become a member of the 1869 Society with quarterly payments of $467.25 or 10 monthly payments of $186.90. Make your gift online.
Can I double my gift with a matching gift from my employer?
Maybe. Contact your Human Resources Department or check to see if your company matches gifts using our online resource to potentially double or even triple the impact of your OES donation. Learn more here.