FAQs - Middle School After School Extended Care (EC) Program
Who Can Participate?
Any OES middle school student is welcome to join! They can attend once or as often as needed. No advanced notice is needed for participation. We just ask that the parent form that was sent home be filled out and returned so that we can have important information about how to best support your student.
- Students are responsible for signing themselves in and out of EC, which is done via IPAD and with staff. Students need to sign in by 3:20 p.m. if they are planning on staying.*
- Parents do not need to come inside to get their students. Many of our students have cell phones that they use to communicate with their parents about pick up.
- Staff has a phone line that parents can also call to have their students sent outside or to update with plan changes/traffic issues.
- Students are responsible for signing themselves out of EC. It is best to sign out directly using the IPAD app for safety reasons and accuracy.
- Students are expected to remain on the OES campus and with EC staff when signed in to EC.
*Students do not need to sign in if they are working with another adult in the building
Many students at OES participate in sports here. Sometimes practices or games are scheduled late and we want to accommodate the varying needs of these students.
- There is a separate 'Sports EC' sign in sheet for students that is used if a team has a practice or game that starts after 3:30 p.m.
- If a sports activity does not start until after 5:00 p.m., we ask students participating in EC to sign in to regular EC via the IPAD app, as they will be present for the majority of EC activities.
- If a student is joining EC after a sports activity they will need to sign into regular EC via the IPAD app.
Study/Homework Time Expectations:
- We run a study hall or “homework time” from 3:45-4:30 p.m. Monday-Thursday. Students are always welcome to do homework outside of this time frame on their own, but this 3:45-4:30 p.m. is structured time we set aside with our staff as support.
- During this time, students are expected to move into their determined staff supervised study hall rooms where they are expected to work quietly and productively and may work in groups or on group projects quietly.
- If a student has completed their homework for the day they are still expected to remain quietly in study hall.
- Friday is a homework free day in EC. We find this is a great way to let students relax, process the week, and continue to strengthen their relationships as a community. Again, students are always welcome to work quietly on homework or projects if they choose to.
- Students using OES provided laptops are expected to follow the policies outlined in the 'Responsible Use Agreement' while participating in EC.
- Students may listen to music only with headphones as there are often other students or programs sharing the same space.
- Students should not be using their chat function, be watching videos, be playing computer games or using their phones during study hall time.
- A light snack is provided at the start of EC for all regular EC participants.
- A second snack is provided at 5:00 p.m.
*Please communicate any dietary concerns/restrictions to the EC staff
Please contact Extended Care Director Meaghan Powers with questions at email@example.com.